Monday, January 19, 2009

Aye, Potty Training Matey

I have to start by saying that we attempted potty training 4 months ago (read it here). Got all the accoutrements for the deed. Did it for one day and then said "forget about it". Fast forward to November. Athena turns three. She should be moving up to the class above her in her school.....she can't because she isn't potty trained (insert shamed emoticon here). I choose to wait until after Thanksgiving, Xmas, Family Visiting, and Saylor's birthday...Needless to say she is now 3.16 and we need to finally get her trained. I start to think well what will I do, how will I do it and who is going to tell me how. I start to look online and find this guaranteed "3 day potty training" technique. I am excited, I am intrigued, I am sold. I mean I have heard of people starting when their child is two and they are doing it up until three! This was the main reason why I didn't start earlier, I didn't want to be doing it forever. I had also had Saylor and wasn't in the mood. The problem is that now it was affecting Athena and her learning, soooooo after having said all that I still wait and procrastinate about forking out the money for it (a mere drop in the bucket but I still procrastinate).

Cue in accomplice. I am talking to my friend (who shall remain nameless) about my brainiac and how she desperately needs to be in a different classroom. She looks to her left and to her right and then says to me in a hushed tone "I have a copy of that training manual that another mom gave me...do you want it?" I say "Ahoy Matey, I do! A pirated copy of the training manual is all the booty I be needin'...Arrrrrrg".

I bring it home, read it over and realize I need to get Michael involved. I say to him "read this" thump. He obliges. We are now ready to do this.

Cue in 3 day weekend (coincidence? I think not.) Saturday morning we do what the lady tells us, and we are now in. We are in this 'till the end. We were homebound FOR THREE COMPLETE DAYS. No car rides, no going outside, no having friends and distractions around. We (either michael or I) sat next to Athena all. day. long. and played, read, puzzled, colored, whatever....as long as it was near her and we had to repeat the same thing to her over and over and over again. The forgotten one (aka..Saylor)was fine. She just watched as we obssessed over the damn potty the entire weekend (long at that).

Do you know what?

She was potty trained...in three days. It is an intense three days, but, if you are committed and consistent, you WILL have a potty trained toddler (or preschooler in our case).
Our daughter is incredible and because this technique involves purely positive reinforcement it was a real pleasure for her and therefore for us.

There you have it folks. The skinny on our experience with potty training Athena.

I really could go on and on about the incredibly funny weekend we've had with her and how she reacted to all sorts of stuff coming out of her, but, I will save it for your imagination and save the potty mouthed tales for another time. For those of you who read this blog that don't have kids, you are missing out on great material ;)

Oh and the answer is Yes. To what you ask? Only if you are asking the question do you understand the answer.

12 comments:

Aracely said...

So you're not going to post the pirated manual? Pretty shady! I waited until 3 too, they were trained in a couple of days which was nice. Love what it does for their confidence level and their sense of independence. You'll see.

Aubrey said...

I think it also comes down to the little one being ready. My toddler wasn't the slightest bit interested. Then, one day, it just took off. We haven't looked back. After less than a week, he was slepping in his chonies and waking up dry!

WHOO-HOO for our potty trained ones! *high five!*

everyday mom of one said...

Ohhh I am interested, ok off to look up more on this 3 day stuff.

Oh and pop over to my site I am having a giveaway you might be interested in.

Anonymous said...

Yea! Athena~ Way to go big girl! and Hell yea, I was asking...let me know when you are taking a break with the kiddy potty and we'll give it a try at this joint!

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

Welcome to the potty trained club Athena! :) I'm sure Mommy and Daddy are happy. :)

bichonpawz said...

Oh, I remember those days well! Glad you got it all straightened out!

Carrie said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY Athena! What a big girl!

Lana D said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now you can experience having to go potty as soon as your food gets to the table, while you're at a park with no bathroom, while you're shopping and miles away from the only potty.... just kidding, it really is much better once they're trained, and Starbucks has nice clean in and out bathrooms on the run! Yay Athena!

Anonymous said...

Great job Athena! What a big girl!

Anonymous said...

Great job Athena! What a big girl!

Rachel said...

Ah the sweet relief of not having to buy any more diapers (well, ok, so you have one more to go, but LESS diapers I mean).

Valerie said...

Good for you, hubby and Athena! I'll have to get a copy of that when it's time to train my grandbaby.