Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiven


It is over. My feelings are bittersweet about it having come and gone. We didn't travel anywhere and we didn't have anyone come over. It was just us four, the BAMS. A newly crowned 3 year old and a 10 month old. It was Saylor's first thanksgiving because last thanksgiving she was cooking...in here......

Best crock pot known to man.....takes a little long, but it cooks perfectly :)

We started out trying to keep it very simple and non-traditional and on the 27th, but it ended up being celebrated on friday and had your typical thanksgiving fare. Except we didn't have pumpkin or pecan pie, I had made a blazing cheesecake for us. A pumpkin cheesecake that was to die for. Yep, homemade graham cracker crust.

Saylor ate like she has eaten like this all of her little life. She has always seemed to hate purees, compotes and baby food and only wanted the turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans and bread. Someone please CC her on the memo letting her know she is a teensy weensy baby and can choke on all of this if she jams it all in her mouth at one time.

Anyhow, it was wonderful to have our little family o' four at the table. It didn't go at all how we had planned and there was no decorations like planned, or saying a prayer as planned or even the seating arrangement as planned, but it was a great dinner nonetheless. When I see Michael on one side of the table tending to Saylor (and letting his food get cold), and I am at the other negotiating with my 3 year old to finish her food, it just feels right, and I well up thinking about all of the wonderful memories yet to come.

Thanks given indeed.









14 comments:

Unknown said...

what a sweet "thanksgiven" story! your girls are beautiful! thanks for sharing it.... i've got a pumpkin cheesecake baking in the oven as i type this in prepration for our "thanksgiven" feast tomorrow!

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

That's mostly how we celebrate Thansgiving. Just the 4 of us. I'm sure it would of been nice having friends and family over but at the same time, no stress in making sure dinner was ready and done. Just a relaxing Thanksgiving. :)

Wow! Look how long her hair is getting! Blaze is one cute kid! So is Saylor! Oh! And you of course, but as a woman, not as a kid. Okay. I'll shut up now! ;)

Anonymous said...

We tried with the 6 of us this year and it turned out pretty good, up until our daughter Sarah got the stomach flu.

This Thanksgiving went down in the memory book. Daughter puking while we were all eating the feast.
Poor kid! We are now waiting for the next child to get it.
AH motherhood, no wonder they made a day for us. We deserve it!

Saylor looks real determined to get here fixin's. Too cute! My kids were never fans of the pureed foods. They wanted the real thing, too.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Wife O Riley said...

That was me who has the deleted comment. I didn't realize I was on my husband's account.

Becca said...

Your kids are so cute! My daughters are bigger now, but one of them still tries to jam all the food in her mouth at the same time!! ha.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Pumpkin cheese cake....um, yum!

Aubrey said...

It's sounds like the perfect day. I would have given anything for something quiet and drama free! LOL
Oh, and homemade pumpkin cheesecake too!
The girls are too cute! Oh!

Unknown said...

Um "crock pot" is the best term I've ever heard for pregnant. I LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

SO, Saylor with a plate? How does that not end up on the floor? Tell me. I NEED to know this.

Rachel said...

k. i love that you gave Saylor real thanksgiving food. and i totally get the "how do they shove all that in there and not choke?" feeling. it certainly makes for cute pictures though!

btw. i totally wore my maternity jeans for turkey day this year. last year, when we were both preggo, i thought to myself "this is the WAY TO GO!" Considering making it tradition. :P

Aracely said...

Sounds perfect to me... and I know you're not bragging about making your own crust... Oooh graham crackers and butter sooo hard ;)
(kidding, I totally had to look up the recipe)

Mary said...

Nice pics.

Becca said...

Sounds like Saylor is following along in D-Pax's footsteps. He never ate any babyfood...just straight to table food. Sometimes I think he eats more than Will! LOL!