Tuesday, August 19, 2008

How to go out to dinner as a family of four.....

1. do not always plan on actually getting to the restaurant, that would be first and foremost, just so you don't "set yourself up" for let's say.....dinner as a family of four.

2. pack a change of clothes for each child, a different sized diaper for each, snacks for the toddler (you know, for the 15 minutes it takes to get to the restaurant), juice box for the same ride, bottle of breast milk for baby, formula and scoop for extra (just on case she is hungrier than usual), rattle, space in your bag for the shoes that the baby will kick off, and finally remember your purse so that you have your real items like phone, wallet, etc.

3.plan on what you are having before you get there so that the order can be expedited (please don't think that you can actually peruse the menu leisurely). A part of you wants to phone your order in but another part of you wants to feel as though they are truly dining out so they stop you from doing this.

4.when parking the car ask the question "which kid do you want"? and follow suit. How parents of more than two children or a single parent do this....beyond me.

5. if you can sit outside do it, if not, pick a table that has 1. easy access to bathroom, or 2. next to another family of small kiddos.

6. when the server gets to the table, apologize ahead of time, and learn his or her name and smile frequently.

7. all a blur (you think you ate, you think you drank)

8. you rock the car seat, stick in the pacifier, tell toddler to use her fork, blow on her hot food, keep wine glass away from toddler, keep salt and pepper shakers away too, in fact you have given the server the sugar caddy when you first sat down.

9. ask for the check (now it has been confirmed because you are paying for the alleged food/drink).

10. leave restaurant and talk about how it wasn't so bad and look lovingly into your partner's eyes and say "remember the good old days" and the have you partner say "yes...but these good new days aren't so bad".

11. love your partner more than you did when you got there and realize that the kids will be going down to sleep the second they get home and know that you can then actually have a conversation with your partner.

12. blog about it the next day with a big smile and wonder when we'll be going out to dinner as a family of four again :)

19 comments:

Katy said...

sounds like a great night... I think you guys have it all down pat :)

Annikke said...

How true those words are!

Katy said...

Oh.. btw.. heard you were saucy... I know that a while back LOL

Summer said...

So true isn't it? Hope I can survive as well as you with two! ;-)

If not, you're right, there is always craigslist! ha ha!

Alison said...

I saw you on the "Saucy Blogs" list and had to comment! I've had a few of those dinners out myself. My kids are 5 and 2 now, and believe it or not, it's already easier to take them to eat with us than when they were a toddler and an infant.

Carrie said...

haha! Thanks for stopping by my saucy blog!! Aren't the pirates the cutest thing ever!?

Feel free to fake swear anytime on my blog! " )

Nice ta meetcha SITSa!

Anonymous said...

its been a really long time since I did that, a blessedly long time

Carrie said...

I was a truck driver in a previous life and I can belch like a sailor too---BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPP!!

Yaaay for blogrolling me!! Mwah!

Kathi Roach said...

Oh, I remember those days like they were yesterday!!! Don't worry, it gets soooo much better.....more expensive because they order off of the real menu...but so much better.

Congrats on being saucy!! I'm just finally stopping by. It's been a crazy week for me, between SITS, the Nester, and Blog Around the World.

Aubrey said...

I had to laugh all the way thru that list. Oh how well I know!!

I have given you an award! Come check it out!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had fun last night. Congrats on not just surviving the field trip, but enjoying the time as well!

And - I LOVE the artwork on your blog. That header is so sweet!

serra said...

just browsing the SITS saucy blogs! I love this blog...we are expecting our first little one in about 3 months...oh... the joys we have to look forward to. I guess I'll enjoy these "good ol' days" before the "good new days" come around :) thanks for making me smile!

Lynda said...

You still have to do a lot of the same things when they're teens...pick a good table, apologize to the waiter, bring extra clothes, etc...lol

A* said...

As a former server, I applaud 5,6,8,9. As a childless married person, I am taking notes.

Rhea said...

Eating out to dinner is TOUGH with young children. YOu never know how it's going to turn out. Sometimes its great and runs smoothly...and other times, a complete nightmare!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night, Bar-b!

Jenni said...

Awwwww! Sounds like you have everything under control! I remember when my boys were small we would go out to dinner at 4:45 and try to be out of there by the dinner rush!

Nice to meet you, SITSa!

EmBee said...

Oh my, how this post takes me back. I've forgotten how difficult it was to go out with 2 little ones... They're 18 and 15 yrs. now and trust me, before you know it, yours will be too!

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day!
:-)

Patty said...

This is so funny, and true! I just experience my first outing with my family of four at Chick-fil-a. What a hectic experience... it'll be awhile before we attempt that again. haha.