Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Elusive Rice Krispies Treat


Am I the only person who thinks that making these sticky, gooey, buttery messes is difficult? Ok, maybe not like difficult difficult, but certainly not as easy as our friend in the video above make it seem. ABA had been saying all day, "Athena and Momma and Saylor make Christmas Treats?" "Athena and Momma and Saylor make Christmas Treats?" "Athena and Momma and Saylor make Christmas Treats?" "Athena and Momma and Saylor make Christmas Treats?" Ok!!!!!.....lets make Rice Krispies Treats. (Those of you with young children will understand and know that I was not embellishing the above conversation).

So we went to the Lawn Mart (WalMart) and bought all of the fun. 3 ingredients really, Cereal, Marshmallow, and Butter. You'd think this was some sort of joke, I mean this is sooooo easy, soooooo few ingredients it takes to make your toddler happy and quiet (for 6 mintues).

We get home and Athena wants to eat all of the marshmallows. I have to feed Saylor and put her down for a nap. I come back from putting Saylor down and Athena is in a tizzy about the xmas treats and mixing and some other stuff. She had one too many marshmallows, I fear.


Then I begin to read the recipe and realize I have to heat up the butter in a saucepan (not really toddler friendly thing to do), then I have to toss in the marshmallows in the saucepan (again, not toddler friendly) so Athena is basically just watching me from a safe distance. Boy we are really having a good time now. Then it is time to put in the 6 cups of RK Cereal. Pan is still hot and all of that gooey marshmallow is just screaming "3rd degree burn", so Momma does that too. Umm, yeah, so let's count all of the ways Athena was able to participate with our fun activity? Yep, ZERO.


The best part of this is that Athena got to eat her Xmas treats in a bowl, even though her momma botched up the ingredients and amounts and obviously messed up in her stirring technique. Oh and so did momma. Lots and lots of it too. In fact one could say that momma skipped dinner and should have skipped breakfast with all of the treats she ingested.

7 comments:

Annikke said...

That is so funny, we made these treats about a week ago because the kids wanted to make them. Well, ummm, ya, it isn't really a kid-friendly kid-do-it-yourself kinda recipe. I mean that whole stirring the krispies into that gooey mess is quite hard and must be done quickly. But boy oh boy do they taste wonderful!

Aubrey said...

Ha-HA! Finally, something I can do and I do it well! I'm not much of a baker and certainly not a great cook but I can do these tricky little treats. And I can chow these down with the best of em'!

Patty said...

I just bought a box of these the other day, and thought to myself "I should be able to make a batch of these pretty easily". Of course, after reading this, I'll stick to the store bought brand.

Carrie said...

I totally remember that commercial!! I dig her fluffy bangs and headband.

Yep, they aren't really kid-friendly to cook, but you could let them use cookie cutters and cut out shapes once they've cooled slightly.

Did you ever make the christmas wreath ones? They are made with corn flakes instead of RK and you put cinnamon Red Hots on to decorate them?

To answer your question, yes, I do actually cook like that, but my sweet a$$ is taken. Too bad cuz I know you want me. haha

Unknown said...

Dude, I "make" rice krispie treats for all sorts of events when I have to bring a snack. Here's my recipe:
1) Buy box of RK treats.
2) Open all the packages.
3) Cut the rectangles into mismatched pieces. (This makes it look more like I actually made it!)
4) Put on plate and cover with plastic wrap.

Voila!

Krazy Armstrong K's! said...

yea definatly not toddler friendly cooking but SO darn yummy! Much better then the ones in the boxes... even tho they aRE alot easier! Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

LMAO @ Boy we are really having fun now

But now I want Xmas treats.